Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Pipe Welding Practice

Here are some photos of piece of pipe that I've been practicing welding up. Being able to produce a good test piece is one of the most important things you'll ever have to do as a welder. It usually means the difference between just getting by financial and being relatively well off. Obviously you have to know how to actually wield once you get in the field or shop or plant. but if you can't pass the your test you'll never even get the chance.

Here is a piece of 6" schedule 40 I welded while on my breaks. The cap doesnt look that great but its good enough to pass. This was one of my early pieces as well. Probly my 8th or 9th try at the 6" combo test.
 Here is a piece of 6" schedule 160. This is just were I filled it up to flush with 7018 rods. Doesn't look great but it wasn't too bad for my first time filling up a big bevel like that.


Now here are the real money makers, 2 inch "monster coupons". Not sure what schedule they are but the walls are 5/8" thick. This is the standard test required for most nuke plants and other similar jobs. The only other test like this is with "super coupons" which are like these only with even thicker walls. I ordered these monster coupons from a website called trieng.com and they cost about $300 with 3 day shipping.


My summer time practice booth setup. Basicaly just a $50 ezup, a make shift pipe stand, a light, and a work table. In my dads back yard.


My first root and hot pass on the monster coupon. Not too shabby!


The first couple 7018 fill passes. Sadly it kind of went down hill after that but nothing a little grinding couldn't fix.


And my first welded out combo monster coupon. Not great but not too bad either. Now time to go practice some more.

No comments:

Post a Comment